Sunday 20 April 2014

Welcome to The Mumbai Miler!


Nearly four months ago, on Christmas day 2013, I made a pact with myself to live a healthier life:
1. To be more mindful of what I eat
2. To exercise in order to create a strong and healthy body

Why not wait until 1st January?
I didn't want to fall into the New Year's Resolution trap. To wait and never begin, or start but give up before the end of January. I knew that these goals would mean a change to the way I lived and I didn't want to wait. I wanted to see results. So I began that very day with a Tabata workout I found online, and (even with three weeks of illness) I haven't looked back since.

What prompted the change?
Around three years ago I'd lost a lot of weight due to illness, but wasn't particularly fit. Since then the weight had crept back on, but in 2013 I'd gained quite a bit of weight to the point where my 'Fat Trousers' were getting too tight. I have no idea what I weighed at Christmas. Although I wasn't anywhere close to the heaviest I was seven years ago, I wanted to turn things around and get back on track.
This time I want to lose weight to be healthy. I want to gain an athletic body, not a skinny one, so exercise and healthy diet are the key. 

Heaviest and Skinniest
So what's happened since then?
I've been working out, building my strength. I've also done something I never thought would happen... I've become a runner!
I've stopped overeating and I've been eating more healthily, more salads and home-cooked food.
I've lost weight, I don't know how much, but I can fit back into clothes I haven't been able to wear in the last nine months.
I've been ill with a nasty chest infection and bronchitis, which aggravated my asthma, and learnt that rest is really important as it's super impossible to run when you can't breathe... And that after just two months of running I'm already addicted!
I've also learnt that I'm way out of my depth in this running world... I thought it was all about putting one foot in front of the other (preferably in a pair of trainers) and keeping in going... What I've realised is that from the right clothing, right footwear, right sports watch, right nutrition, right training plan... Well everything can be a bit complicated!

So why blog about it?
Mainly to share my thoughts and feelings. Also I've found a bunch of websites, blogs and apps that have helped me along my path so far, and I'm sure will continue to guide me on my journey, and I'd like to share what I've learnt!

Why is my blog called The Mumbai Miler?
Mumbai is now my home and where I'm racking up the miles! I've been here since the start of 2007 and have no plans of going back to England anytime soon.

Happy running....
Claire

Tell me...
What's your story?

What triggered you to jump on the fitness wagon?

No comments:

Post a Comment