Thursday 15 May 2014

So how on earth did I end up running?

I'd just started exercising and knew I needed help to keep on track. Whilst I was on a 3 day a week workout plan, I was also walking daily (with my dog, Coco) and trying to increase the distance and speed we were walking.
I remembered a website I'd come across earlier in the year, Lift.do.

lift.do

 Lift is a website that helps you build positive daily habits to achieve your goals. (Read this article on the science behind Lift to understand how it works.)
I can start tracking any goal of my choice, daily meditation for example, and Lift sends me daily emails so I can see how I'm doing. There are daily quotes to strengthen your resolve and motivate you to achieve your goal:
"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat." ~ F. Scott Fitzgerald
"The only way of finding the limits of the possible is by going beyond them into the impossible." ~ Arthur C. Clarke
"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions." ~ Dalai Lama

And the Lift community can give me 'props' and leave encouraging messages to spur me on.
In late December I chose my goal of daily exercise so for 21 days Lift  reminded me to exercise and away I went, logging my GWOD workouts and daily walks with Coco.

But how did this turn into running?
Besides the basic plans like daily exercise, Lift has more advanced plans for things like learning a language or how to begin a blog, where daily steps are defined for you to follow. I soon found a few plans that caught my fancy... First I spotted a fixed meditation plan by Calm.com (which I signed up for and thoroughly enjoyed). Then I noticed a 5k training plan for Beginners... Could I do it?

The plan, by Heidi Boynton of Team Mermaid, promises race readiness in 6 weeks following 40 simple steps. But then I looked more closely... In the intro it mentioned the plan is designed for people who can jog for at least five minutes in a row.
This plan was NOT for me. Running for even one minute was out of my reach! 

Luckily for me, I then found a true beginners running plan on Lift, 'Ease into Running', created by Brett Stewart of the "7 Weeks to Fitness" website. This fantastic plan takes you from easy walking to 10 minutes continuous jogging in 8 weeks.
As Brett explains:
"It's a great plan for first-time runners, individuals who've spent a long time away from exercise, and anyone who wants to experience the cardiovascular benefits of walk/jog intervals. If you aspire to lose weight and get into shape, this program is a crucial first step!  Most sessions take 20 minutes or less."

This plan was just what I needed. It boosted my confidence and made me feel good about what I was achieving. It built up slowly and didn't push me too hard, too fast, too soon, but instead challenged me just enough. And as I began running, the high I got from each run was fantastic... I was hooked!
At the end of the 8 weeks I nailed it by jogging for 10 minutes continuously and IT FELT GREAT! (even though my lungs hurt and my legs were wobbly☺)

So that's how I became a runner.

Happy running...
Claire


Tell me:
  • How did you start running?
  • Why?
  • When?

No comments:

Post a Comment